Sunday, August 23, 2015

Trying to Get Back Into the Groove


We had a long trek yesterday. We drove for 11 hours to get to Iowa. We stopped for the night at the hotel in which I will be running a conference for my work this week.

So last night, in the rain we ran to a pizzeria. We had a wonderful wood fire burned pizza and cheesesticks. Then we watched "Up" together. It was a nice night. Ashton was in good spirits. 

Then this morning I had to say goodbye to my family as I stayed at the hotel for work and they left for home.

It was really hard to say goodbye to my little girl for a few days. I kept trying to explain, but she didn't understand. Then when she was in the car and they pulled away, she got upset not understanding why daddy left mommy.

I know the drive was hard on my husband alone. He couldn't go to the restroom until he got home, which was another 8 hours away. Luckily, he could help her, and he did many frequent stops to change out her DVD player. But I know the ride was very difficult alone.

When they got home I heard that the pups were so very happy to see him. However, poor Khaleesi. She's been through the ringer. She's been to the vet's lately as there's been crystals in her urine. Though we'd watched her purines, her diet isn't good enough, because of her small stature. Her breed is typically 60 pounds, but our girl is about 37. She's a runt, so she's just small. But that means her diet is more sensitive. 

Because of the crystals, we've been doing lots of tests to check her kidneys. Luckily, all is well with her kidneys. No failure, no shunt needed. It looks like diet alone. So we changed her diet before we left, to a new very low purine diet than before. She is now on a pricier dog food. new brand and everything. We were going to slowly change it over time, but we were out right before we left, so the vet said just start with the new dog food.

Well, while we were gone we had a stay at home dog sitter. They took care of our huge brood. However, there was one misunderstanding. And that was with Khaleesi. With all the other dogs, we mentioned how many scoops of food. With Khaleesi, we said how many cups. And cups was mistaken for scoops. So instead of 3 cups of her high calorie, low purine diet, Khaleesi was feed about 1 cup of food a day.

Taken July 4th

So upon coming home, my husband noticed Khaleesi lifeless, not willing to eat, and loss of weight. On top of which, he found out later that she currently is having acid reflux. So upon calling the vet, there is tums in her water and he's trying to force feed her, all while taking care of the other animals, unpack, give Ashton a bath and get her to bed, and all the other things of arriving home - all by himself!

I feel so badly, not being able to help. But the conference I've been planning for work, I run the whole shindig and I have to be here. I don't get back home until late Wednesday night.

I can only pray that Ashton is being good for my husband and a help. I pray that my husband is able to help Khaleesi and that all will get better quickly. I know he is overwhelmed and tired, and just wants to sleep, but I'm afraid with Khaleesi's condition, getting Ashton to settle down from being in a car cooped up for 8 hours, and all he has to do before work tomorrow morning, it will be a late nighter.
Image and video hosting by 

TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...