Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Sting of a Bee


She may look all smiles this morning, but yesterday she was miserable. Why? If you couldn't tell by the title - she was stung by a bee.

So yesterday we were outside on our front stoop. She was playing with her tea set laying it nicely along the garden brick edging my hubby just put up a month or two ago. I was sitting on the stoop being served my tea and so forth. She was all smiles. Then she just screamed!

I asked her what was wrong, what happened, but she just kept screaming. Then I noticed a carpenter bee flying around her, not leaving her alone. I scooped her up in my arms and it was flying around us, buzzing madly! I must have been going too slow, because my husband pulled her out of my arms and rushed her in the house. I followed steps behind.


We were trying to figure out where she was stung, but she was too upset to point or show us, we just saw her cry. Finally after a minute we saw he stung the inside of her left hand, right below her ring finger. We put her hand under water and after a minute or two, Ashton's screams stopped and a few alligator tears remained.

She wanted a band-aid. So I obliged. We then gave her a coldpack to hold. She said she was all better and wanted to go outside again. As I didn't want her to be afraid, I was happy to have her play again. We went out, no bee in sight. We sat down again by the stoop and from the garden the bee rushed at my daughter again.

I grabbed her in my arms and rushed to the front sidewalk telling my husband to kill that dang bee. Ashton was mesmerized to watch the fight. She wasn't scared at all.

The bee was in fight mode. It was "defending" it's newly found territory, our garden by the front door. No sir! Needless to say, the bee didn't make it. But it put up a good 5 minute fight with my husband.

We checked the bricks and dirt (our garden hasn't been created yet... still dirt not even mulch or rocks... we're looking for rocks currently). Nothing. We think he's it. But man, we've always told Ashton if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. And it's true, but he thought we were invading "his" space. So he attacked my little girl. So Ashton and I had a talk of sorts.

I told her bumble bees are good bees. And carpenter bees are bad bees. (I should know, they did a number on my cedar glider.) And if she leaved them alone they'd be okay, but we didn't want any carpenter bees around the house and if she found any to stay away and tell us.

I know she'll not be able to tell the difference between a bumble or carpenter, but that's okay. I have never seen any bumble bees around. Only wasps and carpenter bees - lucky us.


I read just a bit online about carpenter bees and found out males don't sting. Females do. But males are the ones that hover aggressively around people who approach the nests and can even fly right into you. Which is what happened. So maybe she wasn't stung, and he just landed on her and she got her hand red from rubbing it. Who knows? Maybe it was female and she truly got stung. We thought we saw where she was stung and my girl was in pain and hurt, and that's all that mattered. To her she was stung.

Ashton left the band-aid on all night and held on to the coldpack. When she woke up this morning, she stated she was all better and didn't need the band-aid anymore.

It was raining buckets this morning, so I added her little hoodie to ear to daycare. She looked adorable. And she was in great spirits. And through the pain and storms last night, she slept through the night! What a little trooper!

She took yesterday's incident with such stride. It's times like this that I see how brave and wonderful she is.  Not that I don't know that already, but really take notice. Love this girl fiercely!
Image and video hosting by 

TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...