Wednesday, June 17, 2015
Dragon Boat Festival Checklist
I receive an email newsletter periodically about Chinese Holidays. I signed up after finding this website which is awesome about leaning, celebrating, and keeping up on Chinese holidays.
I thought it'd be good to share the newsletter here:
The Dragon Boat Festival is June 20! Here are all the resources available at Chinese Holidays 101 to help you celebrate with your family.
1. Share the Dragon Boat Festival story. Read my brief overview for the holiday's history and folklore, the origins of dragon boat racing and the reasons for traditions like eating rice dumplings.
2. Attend a dragon boat celebration. Check out my interview with Hans Wu, race director of the San Francisco International Dragon Boat Festival, and then see my listing of some of the biggest races held across the United States.
3. Join a dragon boat team. Dragon boat racing is a fun, energizing sport that's open to all. Read about my first-timer's experience paddling with the Oakland Renegades.
4. Make rice dumplings. Learn how to make the festival's traditional food, known aszongzi in Mandarin and joong in Cantonese. It's a fun and delicious family activity.
5. Make toy dragon boats. Craft toy dragon boats to race in the bathtub. It's a perfect way to introduce younger children to the Dragon Boat Festival.
6. Read a children's book. Pick up one of the books on my shortlist of the best storiesabout the Dragon Boat Festival from your local library.
I hope you have a great time celebrating the Dragon Boat Festival this year. Please reply if there are additional resources you would like to see added to the site!